We’re back!!! I know we’ve been kind of sketchy with our weekly Yo Quiero Links posts, but it’s been a pretty busy summer. Actually, TOMORROW you’ll get to find out what has kept us so busy lately. We can’t wait to share our latest news with you, so we hope you don’t miss our BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
In the meantime, here are some pretty cool links we’d like to share with you:
1) Webwire.com: Study Shows Bilingual are Unable to ‘turn off’ a Language Completely – “According to a recent study published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, it appears humans are not actually capable of “turning off” another language entirely. Psychologists Eva Van Assche, Wouter Duyck, Robert Hartsuiker and Kevin Diependaele from Ghent University found that knowledge of a second language actually has a continuous impact on native-language reading.”
2) Bilingual Readers: Emotional Bilingualism – “Most of us would agree that there is a strong link between language and emotions. We use words to help us express our emotions, but those very same words also help us to define what we’re feeling. This is true for monolinguals, but those of us who speak more than one language know that different languages often allow us to define our feelings in a different way based on the specific nuances each language has to offer.”
3) Multilingual Mania: Social Networking and Virtual Multilingual Communities – “It’s easy to feel isolated when you are working in the field of bilingual or multilingual education. Bilingual teachers are often the minority in schools, considering the fact that the majority of English learners in the public school system are placed in English settings. Bilingual teachers grow accustomed to attending staff development that is primarily geared towards teachers in English settings. The lack of school, district and community support systems for bilingual teachers is astounding and can be emotionally and professionally grueling to dedicated bilingual teachers.”
4) Wanna Jugar with Migo?: John De Mado Interview – “I learned a lot by interviewing John De Mado. It helped me understand the language acquisition process better. It made me feel better about teaching my children Spanish and the mistakes I make. He talked about how we think language is “fossilized” like set in stone and never changes, whereas, it is constantly changing. If my children or I make a mistake, it doesn’t mean they can’t change it later.”
5) MyLatinoNews.com: CNN Presents Latino in America Anchored by Soledad O’Brien – “CNN will extend its acclaimed “…in America” series of documentaries with a two-night, four-hour event, Latino in America, this October. Reported by anchor and special correspondent Soledad O’Brien, the ambitious documentary initiative examines the growing diversity of America, revealing insight into a changing nation on the eve of the U.S. census that is expected to officially confirm that Latino Americans are the largest minority group within the country.”
TWO CONTESTS WORTH ENTERING!!
6) MielPura.org: Miel a mi Manera – “Para animar a padres y niños de todas partes a probar y descubrir los múltiples usos de la miel, especialmente en los que se relacionan con el regreso a la escuela, National Honey Board se ha unido con la revista Ser Padres, la fuente principal de información para padres Hispanos en los Estados Unidos, para presentar el concurso “Miel a mi Manera”. Los consumidores pueden enviar su receta preferida con miel en dos categorías: (1) una receta de una comida o snack para niños o (2) su receta favorita con el uso creativo de la miel (por ejemplo, para el dolor de garganta, para bebidas deportivas, etc.). El ganador de recetas de comidas/snacks para niños ganará $1,000 y el ganador de usos creativos recibirá $500.”
7) Baskin Robbins: Ice Cream & Cake Dance Contest – “Shake your moneymaker and show us how you do the Ice Cream & Cake Dance. Watch the demo video to see the basic steps, then download the Ice Cream & Cake song and create your own version in 90 seconds or less. Come back and click on the “Enter” tab to register and submit your video. You could win $10,000.”
Don’t forget to check out our big announcement tomorrow. We know you’re going to LOVE it!!