A gem, that’s how I describe the three books I got last week from Heritage Language – a husband and wife team who noticed the huge need for bilingual books to help both Spanish and English language learners and decided to create their own books with audio.
First of all, the books are well-written both in English and in Spanish. The best part? The translations are not literal, which means that the Heritage Language folks totally get it. Translating word by word doesn’t really work when it comes to books and that’s why unfortunately there are so many bad options out there when it comes to bilingual books.
The stories are imaginative and the illustrations are super cute. The main characters are a Latino family, which includes a little boy named Pedro, his big sister Margarita, dad, mom, los abuelos and a perrito called Bobby. It’s really impossible not to fall in love with the characters!
A super cool feature is that all the books come with an audio CD so your kids can be read to in either English or Spanish. The stories are read in two speeds, the regular one and another one for kids who are learning how to read to be able to follow along. Although Vanessa is just learning how to read, I can see where this option will come in super handy in the near future. Want to hear what they sound like, just go to Heritage Language’s website.
The current titles are:
- Un Regalo Misterioso/A Mysterious Present – A story about the unusual way Pedro discovers his birthday gift. (Santiago’s favorite.)
- Un Globo Café Chocolate/A Chocolate Brown Balloon – A magical story about balloons and believing.
- El Pan Perfecto/The Perfect Bread – This story introduces us to the abuelos in a super funny way.
- Bobby y el Balón de Fútbol/Bobby and the Soccer Ball-A fun story featuring Margarita and her big soccer game.
The books are meant to be a resource for Spanish or English learners in grades K-5 at home or at school. Heritage Language is working on a total of six books from this collection. I really can’t wait to see the next two books and what their topics will be.
Wanna get a chance to get your hands on them?
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to the winners: Monica and Melanie!
We’re giving away a set of Heritage Language’s first four books to TWO lucky winners.
To enter, all you have to do is visit the Heritage Language site and come back to leave us a comment telling us which of the four books you think your child will like the most and why.
That’s all you have to do to enter this giveaway. If you want to up your chances at winning, then this is how you can get additional entries (only after you’ve completed the step above):
**Please leave a separate comment for each so we can count them and avoid mistakes.
1. Subscribe to receive blog updates and subscriber-only content via email and leave us an extra comment letting us know you did so or that you’re already a subscriber. Make sure to leave the comment using the same email you subscribed with.
2. Follow us on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway including a link to the post and @SpanglishBaby. Copy the link to the tweet in an additional comment on the giveaway’s post.
3. Like SpanglishBaby on Facebook and join a thriving community of parents.
This giveaway ends Sunday, February 19 at 11:59 p.m. EST and is open to everyone with a U.S. mailing address over 18 years of age. Check out the Giveaway Rules.