Today I want to share a Holiday that is very dear to my heart, Dia de Los Muertos. A time to reflect on the loved ones we have lost, celebrate their lives and rejoice in knowing their legacy will be carried on with our children. Our family celebrates this yearly tradition with a weeklong celebration of honoring our loved ones with a family altar. In our altar we showcase favorite family photos of our departed, papel picado, candy skulls, flowers and personal mementos.
Sugar skulls and Cempasúchil (marigolds) are a placed on the Altar to honor the dead.
During this festive week we as a family recreate their favorite meals to enjoy as we share their lives with our children. This week long celebration fills my heart with great joy as I honor my departed all while introducing my children to loved ones they were not fortunate to meet. As my children grow they will in turn gain knowledge of their heritage and begin learning how to cope with future loss as our altar continues the addition of family members. I hope when they are adults they will learn to celebrate death as part of life, knowing that each year on Dia de Los Muertos our departed with return to shower us with love.
As a fun activity we decided to make Rice Krispies Treats sugar skulls using one of our favorite cereals~ Kellogg’s Rice Krispies! They have a blast creating their very own sugar skulls and even more fun snacking on these easy to make treats. I quickly dug through my cookie cutter kit and found my skeleton shaped cutter to help me shape our sugar skulls. A quick dip in chocolate to help the sprinkles set and you’re done. I also made one huge Rice Krispies Treats for the adults using my skull cake mold, because even adults LOVE Kellogg’s Rice Krispies!! Enjoy~
Ingredients For Rice Krispies Treats
3 Tablespoons butter
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
Ingredients For decorating
White chocolate chips, melted for dipping
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat
- Add Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal and stir until well coated.
- Using a spatula sprayed with cooking spray, press mixture into 13x9x2-inch pan coated with cooking spray.
- Let cool.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out sugar skulls or use a small bowl to cut out round shapes and shape with your hands (lightly spray your hand with cooking spray for ease)
- Dip each skull in melted white chocolate and allow kids to decorate.