Christmas baking is so much fun and it’s even more fun and messy when we do it with our niños!
There’s nothing like your casa infused with the scents of canela, ginger and laughter! My boys had so much fun making gingerbread men with me. I have this fabulous soft gingerbread man cookie recipe that I know you will enjoy!
Before we get started here are some tips for baking with kids: I did this with three boys ages 2, 5 and 8, just in case you’re skeptical about baking with little ones, it is possible. I gave them responsibilities based on their age.
- Let them try measuring the ingredients out.
- Let them mix it in the bowl. (Even if it spills out of the bowl)
- Have them wear an apron or shirt you don’t mind them getting dirty.
- Give them their own ball of dough to play with.
- Find an area where they have space to move.
- Tell yourself “It will get messy and it’s okay.”
- Bake with your kids when you’re not in a hurry, it will take longer.
1. Mix all of the ingredients from your recipe in a bowl preferably a large one (helps prevent flour from spilling out).
2. Once it’s ready to be rolled out give each child a ball of dough for them to flatten out on a floured surface. Note, army men made it into our dough! Remember the tip I shared above? Give them each a ball of dough for them to play with.
3. Once it’s nice and flat, not too flat though, have them press the cookie cutter into the dough.
4. Follow baking directions and then have the kids decorate them with their favorite icing and sprinkles.