Kellogg’s Froot Loops are not only a yummy breakfast or snack, they’re also a lot of fun to play with! We realized that they are ideal to use in busy bags or activities because the round shape and size are so easy for little hands to handle, plus the rainbow colors give you so many possibilities. Busy bags usually include simple materials to keep our kids imaginations flowing as they make up their own fun on rainy days.
Below are three simple and educational busy bag activities for toddlers and preschoolers that incorporate Spanish vocabulary and math. The best part is that you can create these activities with only five materials you most likely already have around the house.
- color markers
- egg carton
- a box of Kellogg’s Froot Loops
Color Sorting Activity
1. Cut your egg carton in half so it looks like a half dozen carton. Save the other half for the next activity.
2. With a black marker write the word in Spanish for the six different colors in a Froot Loops box: naranja, violeta o morado, azul, verde, rojo, amarillo.
3. For younger kids write the words in the corresponding color to help them match the Froot Loops, or color in each pocket with the corresponding color.
4. Have your niños match a handful of Froot Loops with the word in Spanish for each color.
Egg Carton Math Activity
1. Take the other half of your egg carton and write the numbers 1-6 in the pockets.
2. Spell out the number in Spanish above each pocket.
3. Have your child put in the corresponding amount of Froot Loops in each pocket.
4. For older kids you can put one Froot Loop in, close the carton, shake it up, and have your child identify the number. For more advanced math you can put in two Froot Loops, shake the carton and have them add the two numbers the Froot Loops land on or even multiply them! Can they say that number in Spanish?
Froot Loops Rainbow Necklace
This idea is simple but has many possibilities.
1. Take a piece of string and string the Froot Loops through it.
2. You can also grab the sorted Froot Loops from the “color sorting” activity and create patterns in your necklace.
3. Or create a rainbow effect by sorting your Froot Loops by color and number, then loop them into your necklace!
Disclosure: We are proud to be part of the Kellogg´s Champions of Great Starts bloggers and grateful to have Kellogg’s as a SpanglishBaby sponsor.