As you might remember, my daughter and I embarked on a trilingual adventure toward the end of last year when we partnered up with Little Pim to document her progress learning French during three months. While that partnership is over, I’m making it a point to continue this journey by looking for ways to get my hands on other products, materials, books, toys, and music in French to make it more of a fun ride than a chore.
One of the things that had been lacking from our repertoire of all things French were books – and you know how much we love those in this house! I’ve had a really difficult time finding quality books in French. No surprise there since it’s also hard to do the same with books in Spanish, especially the older my daughter gets.
Several months ago, as I was looking for those elusive books in Spanish, I stumbled upon Barefoot Books and I thought I’d hit the lottery. Not only do they have books in Spanish, but also in French! If you’ve never heard of them, I suggest you visit their website and browse through their amazing catalog. I get so excited every time I look at it, I wish I were a kid again! Pretty much every tittle in their catalog, regardless of language, is a work of art, ingenuity and an honest respect for diversity.
I’ll be reviewing several of their bilingual books in the months to come, but today I’d like to introduce you to a series they call Bilingual Bear. (Check the illustration above). These books are available in a bilingual format in both the English/French and English/Spanish combination, but they’re also available just in Spanish.
Here’s why I love them:
- The bilingual bear is just adorable. The illustrations are unique, vibrant and beautifully depict the theme of each particular book.
- Each book introduces a different concept by incorporating it into an easy-to-follow rhyming story. The concepts include the seasons, the family, shapes, transportation, places around the city, and inside a house.
- The sentences are simple and introduce key vocabulary related to each specific theme.
- There’s a supplemental vocabulary list at the end of each book, which has come in super handy for me as there are a lot of simple words I don’t remember in French.
- They’re paperback – so it’s easy to take all of them along without them taking to much space!
While you can enter our giveaway to win one of these books, you might want to head over to Barefoot Books as they’re having a winter sale of up to 60% off until Feb. 8th, 2011.
We have a copy of one of the books from the Bilingual Bear series to give away to one winner. To enter please visit the Barefoot Books website and come back here to tell us which book(s) caught your attention and why.
That’s all you have to do to enter this giveaway. If you want to up your chances at winning, then this is how you can get additional entries (only after you’ve completed the step above):
**Please leave a separate comment for each so we can count them and avoid mistakes.
1. Subscribe to our feed via email or RSS and leave us an extra comment letting us know you did so or that you’re already a subscriber. Make sure to leave the comment using the same email you subscribed with.
2. Follow us on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway including a link to the post and @SpanglishBaby. Copy the link to the tweet in an additional comment on the giveaway’s post.
This giveaway ends Sunday, January 16 at midnight EST and you must have a valid US address to enter.
Disclosure: We received a sample to review the product. All opinions are our own.