Smartphone ownership when you look at the United find mexican wife Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males that have intercourse with guys (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) are generally utilized among MSM to satisfy partners that are sexual. Increased use of smart phones combined with the common utilization of apps to get intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan and their collaborators to analyze the relationships between app usage and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who utilized apps reported their most frequently utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals used an average of 8.2 various apps and spent on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. Although a minority (17%) utilized apps to seek intimate lovers, the common quantity of “app-met partners” with who they involved with insertive sexual intercourse had been 1.19; very nearly 1 / 3rd associated with the encounters had been condomless. Moreover, over 25 % of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of the app-met lovers. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of knowing of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Use
Intimate risk among software making use of MSM had been examined making use of a test of 174 app-using MSM in nyc. The research addressed 6 contextual facets pertaining to app usage and investigated the connection between these facets and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever alcohol that is using51.1%) when making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been prone to take part in both insertive and receptive condomless intercourse whenever apps had been getting used when working with any medications or when making use of apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Combating HIV through App Utilize
Apps have shown their usefulness that is potential among and medical care providers trying to reduce the danger of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to utilize apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV evaluation. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention ended up being greater the type of reporting present binge ingesting and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Current geosocial-networking applications have been completely utilized to supply HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the potential to be utilized for other health that is MSM substance usage, intimate partner physical physical violence, and intimate danger taking. App-based health that is sexual focusing on MSM should always be developed, offered MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Research Center. Social media marketing Utilize Continues To Increase in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. June 2018. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five health that is different for homosexual and bisexual guys: Implications for brand new guidelines in health training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of gay, bisexual, along with other males who possess sex with males: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Health andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV illness by males who possess intercourse with guys through geosocial phone that is networking. Journal associated with the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males that have intercourse with males: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern usa. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males that have intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Sexual Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cellular phone apps for HIV prevention among males that have intercourse with males in London: Web-based study. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social networking Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work ended up being supported by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the latest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and ny University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug Use and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general public health conditions linked to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor nyc , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL